6 Important Items You Will Need When Moving Abroad

Moving house is an exciting time. It is even more exciting if you are taking the chance to move to another country.

A new country offers you plenty of opportunities to learn and grow, but you need to get your things in order before you decide to live abroad.

There aren’t many objects you need when moving country; however, you may find that you struggle to adjust properly without some of these key items.

Read on to find out what these are so you can prepare for your future abroad.


Of course, the first thing you need when leaving the country is your passport. You will have to use this piece of evidence even if you plan on going on holiday, but it is even more important when you move abroad.

Your passport is used as proof of your citizenship. It is required so that you can regain entry back into the country when you come to visit. A passport is your national identity card, so make sure you do not leave home without it.

A Works Visa

A works visa is another important document, one that proves that you are living in the country for a set purpose.

Almost every foreign nation will require you to obtain one of these documents when moving, and it may take some time to acquire.

The reason why it takes time is that you have to prove yourself as a working body to the country’s government.

You will need to provide them with proof of your previous qualifications and work references, your tax returns, and details of any investments that you have made.

The government needs you to prove that you are able to work and provide for yourself while living in the country, and a worker’s visa is the best way to do so.

Birth Certificate

While your passport is used as official evidence of your country of origin, your birth certificate is evidence of your identity.

This document is easy to come by, and it is worth keeping several copies on hand. These should include your full name, date of birth, gender, and your parents’ names.


Not every country has universal healthcare, and the ones that do may charge ex-pats for using their health services before they receive full citizenship.

As such, you will need to arrange a medical insurance policy in case you are involved in an accident.

To do this, you will need to provide your medical history. In fact, it is wise to also bring any medical documents with you to your new home.

Some countries, such as Australia, may deny you entry if you have any long-term medical illnesses.

However, your insurance can provide you cover for some diseases, which means that they may make an exception based on your circumstances, either, as you will definitely need to insure yourself before you move abroad.

A Place of Residence

Once you head overseas you are going to need a roof over your head. In fact, you may be asked to prove that you have a place of residence before you are granted permission to enter the country.

There are two routes that you can pursue depending on your financial situation. You can rent a place and save up to buy a place of your own, or you can get a mortgage with a company like PropertyGuru Group.

An estate agent like this should help get you through the process quickly, and let you know of any local laws that may make it difficult to purchase a home abroad.

It shouldn’t be any more difficult than buying a house in your home country, you just need to provide the correct documentation.

Marriage Certificates

A marriage certificate is only needed in specific circumstances.

If you are married, you will need to provide this type of documentation for tax purposes; therefore, you will be required to pass on this information when applying for your worker’s visa.

What’s more, some countries may also ask for proof of divorce if you have gone through this procedure. This documentation is needed to keep a track of any name changes that you have made to your names over the years.

Child Custody Papers

If you have had to provide divorce papers, you will also have to keep a hold of any child custody agreements that you have in writing.

This is used to inform the government of any outstanding childcare payments you may need to make, which directly affects your financial stability. Also, it makes it easier for the child to visit on and off as per the written agreement.


Moving house is stressful enough; however, you can ease this stress by preparing yourself properly.

Make sure that you get these documents in order before you apply to move abroad and you will find that you have a much easier time of it.

Leave a Comment